These Asian chicken cabbage wraps with peanuts and julienne carrots & peppers are a delicious low carb dish with great flavors, colors, and textures.
Chicken Cabbage Wraps with Peanuts and Julienne Carrots and Peppers
These Asian chicken cabbage wraps with peanuts are a great way to mix up your chicken breast routine. Most people eat a lot of chicken breast. They’re lean and a relatively healthy protein option, but chicken breast can get a little boring. This Asian chicken cabbage wrap recipe mixes up different flavors, textures, and colors for a dish that is bright and anything but boring chicken breast.
Ingredients for Asian Chicken Cabbage Wraps
Oven Poached Chicken
This recipe requires some diced or cubed cooked chicken breast. You can cook the chicken breast any method you want but I would recommend this technique for oven poached chicken with ginger and aromatics. It is a great technique to get juicy and flavorful chicken; don’t worry about using the exact ingredients in the recipe – you can use any vegetables you have on hand.
Sauce, Seasoning, and Ginger Garlic Paste
Sauce And Seasoning
A big flavor kick for this recipe is going to come from the sauce and seasoning that we use to dress the diced chicken breast. This includes soy sauce, lime juice, honey, sesame oil to get a nice balance of salty, umami, acidic, and sweet. The cabbage itself is slightly bitter, so we will be stimulating all five types of taste receptors with this dish.
Ginger Garlic Paste
The ginger garlic paste is a huge flavor component to this dish. First peel the garlic and the ginger and then use a fine grater or a microplane to turn the solid garlic and ginger into garlic ginger paste. The purpose of using ginger garlic paste is so it will evenly distribute when you mix into the recipe, and you won’t be left with any chunks of raw garlic or ginger. Using garlic powder and ginger powder also will mix well, but the flavor of fresh garlic ginger paste is MUCH better. You can use this garlic ginger paste as a flavoring in all sorts of dishes, including this air fryer butternut squash with ginger garlic honey butter.
Peanuts, Herbs, and Julienne Carrots and Red Bell Pepper
The peanuts, herbs, and julienne carrots and red bell peppers provide fresh flavors and colors, as well as adding interesting crunchy textures. The peanut are roughly chopped. You can do this by placing a small pile of peanuts on a cutting board. Use the heel of the knife (the part of the blade closest to the handle) to chop the peanuts.
The julienne carrots and red bell peppers add some nice colors and additional crunchy and crisp texture. The carrot and red pepper strips here are about 1/8 by 1/8 by 2 inches. See here for more information on how to julienne.
Putting It All Together
Get some nice large green cabbage leaves. First cut off, the bottom 0.25 inch of the cabbage to make it easier for the leaves to come off. Mix the chicken, sauce and seasoning, ginger garlic paste, peanuts, and herbs together. Place mixture into cabbage leaf. Garnish with julienne carrot and red bell pepper, parsley, spring onion, and peanuts. Wrap it up and enjoy!
Asian Chicken Cabbage Wrap With Peanuts
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (between a quarter and half inch) see recipe for oven poached chicken above
- 8 each large green cabbage leaves, peeled off of head Cut the bottom 0.25 inch of the cabbage off so that the leaves come off more easily. You can substitute Napa cabbage, romaine, iceberg, or bibb lettuce, or any other wrap "material" you want
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated into paste
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated into paste
- 0.5 cup green onion, sliced thinly on the bias reserve a small amount for garnish
- 0.5 cup parsley, chopped reserve a small amount for garnish
- 2 each carrots, julienned into strips, roughly 1/8 by 1/8 by 2 inches
- 2 each red bell peppers, julienned into strips, roughly 1/8 by 1/8 by 2 inches
- 0.75 cup dry roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped reserve a small amount for garnish
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Make chicken mixture – mix together all ingredients except for cabbage leaves, carrots, and bell peppers. Put equal amounts of mixture into each of the cabbage leaves. Garnish with carrots, red bell pepper, green onion, parsley, and peanuts.