Crispy Chicken Wing Lollipops
Chicken lollipops combine the deliciousness and crispiness of chicken wings with the convenience of a lollipop. I’m totally sold. Chicken wing lollipops are more convenient and cleaner to eat than normal wings and better for sharing. They’re big balls of crispy chicken goodness with the bone repurposed as a convenient handle. This chicken lollipops recipe gives an easy guide to make them at home.
This technique can be done for the wings or the legs to make lollipop wings or lollipop chicken legs, respectively. Knowing how to make chicken lollipops from chicken wings or legs is a nice trick to have in your arsenal.
In this recipe, there are instructions for either baking or frying to get crispy chicken lollipops depending on which you prefer. After cooking, the chicken wing lollipops are coated with a chipotle honey glaze. They can be eaten as is but I like to serve them with a blue cheese dipping sauce as I do here.
Honey Chipotle Sauce
As soon as the lollipop wings are cooked, they are coated with a chipotle honey glaze and should be served right away. This honey chipotle glaze is simple to make and can be prepared while the chicken lollipops are cooking. Some honey is heated in a saucepan to which some butter and chipotle paste are whisked in. And that’s it – simple chipotle honey sauce. The honey adds the sweet while the chipotle adds some spicy and smoky. Yum.
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
The chicken wing lollipops can be eaten as is, or served with a dipping sauce. I like to serve them with a blue cheese dipping sauce. Some heavy cream is gently heated in a sauce pan to which some blue cheese is added. Once the blue cheese has melted and been mixed evenly into the cream, you can thicken the blue cheese sauce with a little corn starch to reach the desired consistency of a nice thick dipping sauce that will easily stick to your crispy lollipop wings.
Chicken Lollipops Recipe with Honey Chipotle Glaze and Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 16 each whole chicken wings if you are buying the wings already separated into drumettes and flats, you need 32 pieces total
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil if you are deep frying, change this to 2 quarts
- 1 tbsp salt feel free to change for your individual taste
- 0.5 cup cornstarch optional: only need this to dredge if you are deep frying
- 0.5 cup flour optional: only need this to dredge if you are deep frying
Honey Chipotle Glaze
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp chipotle paste Create the paste by blending the contents of a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup your favorite blue cheese, roughly crumbled or chopped
- 2 tsp corn starch
Prepare the Chicken Wing Lollipops
- For each whole wing, first remove the wing tip. Then cut the wing at the joint to separate the drumette and the flat. Skip this step if you buy the drumettes and flats already separated.
- Turn the drumettes into chicken lollipops: Cut around the bone at the end that was previously connected to the flat (the end with less meat). This side will become the "handle" of the chicken lollipop. After you cut the meat around the bone at this end, you can now pull the meat down the bone away from this end to form the lollipop. See video in link in the text of this post for a clear demonstration.
- Turn the flats into chicken lollipops: Since the flat has two bones, the smaller bone must first be removed. Cut around the bones at the end of the flat that was previously attached to the wing tip. This side will become the "handle" of the chicken lollipop. Cut an incision between the two bones at this same end. Now remove the smaller bone. To do this, pull and twist the bone out from the meat in the direction of the "handle" side. Once this bone is removed, you can now pull the meat on the remaining bone down away from the "handle" side in order to form the lollipop. Use your knife to help cut or scrape any meat that is still attached or preventing the meat from forming a lollipop. See video in link in the text of this post for a clear demonstration.
Honey Chipotle Sauce (prepare ahead or while chicken is cooking)
- Heat honey in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it moves loosely in the pan. Whisk in the butter. If the honey has been heated enough (above 212 degrees F), the water in the butter will be converted to steam as you whisk, causing bubbles in your sauce. The bubbles will stop once all the water is gone. Whisk in the chipotle paste and remove from the heat.
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (prepare ahead or while chicken is cooking)
- Gently heat cream in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add blue cheese. Whisk periodically. Cook until blue cheese is melted and emulsified in cream.
- Whisk the cornstarch with a little bit of water so that there are no lumps. Add to blue cheese sauce and whisk thoroughly. Turn up heat until sauce reaches a gentle boil. Check to see that the sauce is thick and easily sticks to and coats a spoon. Add more cornstarch if needed.
Bake the chicken lollipops (if you are baking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat the chicken lollipops with vegetable oil and salt
- Spread out wings on a wire rack placed within a baking sheet. Bake until crispy, golden brown, and cooked through to 165 degrees. Approximately 40 minutes.
Fry the chicken lollipops (if you are frying)
- Heat the vegetable oil for frying in a large pot to 350 degrees F, leaving plenty of room for the chicken lollipops that will be added later.
- Combine the flour, corn starch, and salt. Dredge the chicken wing lollipops in the mixture. Try to keep the bone clean while only coating the meat with the flour/corn starch mixture. Shake free any excess coating.
- Deep fry the chicken lollipops until crispy, golden brown, and cooked through to 165 degrees, about 8 minutes.
- Heat up chipotle honey glaze and blue cheese dipping sauce.
- The chicken lollipops should be served as soon as they have cooked. Coat the lollipop wings with the honey chipotle glaze in a mixing bowl. Drizzle any extra glaze over the lollipops. Garnish with chopped chives and serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.
Chicken Lollipops Recipe Highlights
- Turn chicken wings into chicken wing lollipops with a convenient handle
- Get them crispy golden brown regardless of whether you prefer baked chicken lollipops or fried chicken lollipops
Honey Chipotle Sauce
- Make a quick and easy honey chipotle sauce to add some sweet, smoky, and spicy to your chicken wing lollipops
- This honey chipotle glaze can be prepared while chicken lollipops are cooking
Blue Cheese Sauce for Chicken Lollipops
- Make a quick easy blue cheese dipping sauce while lollipop wings are cooking
- Thicken blue cheese sauce to get good consistency of a dipping sauce that will stick to your chicken lolly