Oven Poached Chicken Breast
This oven poached chicken with creamy lemon herb sauce recipe produces aromatic and juicy chicken breasts every time.
Everyone likes chicken breast. They are lean and considered a relatively healthier option as far as meats are concerned. However, lean chicken breasts also presents some culinary challenges because they are. . . well. . . lean. Oven poached chicken with aromatics is a way to overcome these challenges and produce tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken breast easily.
Chicken breast do not have a lot of fat, and from a purely culinary point of view, that is an unfortunate state of affairs. Fat in meat does two good things. First, it can make meat juicy and prevent it from getting dry if overcooked. Lean protein can overcook and become dry very quickly. Second, fat is flavor. The fat itself carries a lot of flavor and a lean protein like chicken breast doesn’t get this flavor addition.
Oven poached chicken breast addresses both these problems. Firstly, this cooking technique will keep your chicken breast juicy. Poaching is a gentle method of cooking, which means less chance of overcooking and drying out your chicken. Also the water the chicken is cooking in will keep it moist.
Oven poaching chicken gives you the chance to add flavors during the cooking process. In this recipe, the chicken breasts are poached with garlic, ginger, lemon peel, parsley stems, spring onion, and carrot. These aromatics are perfuming the chicken during the cooking process. This leads to more flavorful chicken.
Creamy Lemon Herb Sauce
This creamy lemon herb sauce is a delicious sauce that takes about five minutes to make. It can easily be made while the oven poached chicken is cooking. To make the lemon herb sauce, simply mix some greek yogurt, a little mayo, lemon juice, and chopped parsley. This tasty creamy lemon herb sauce will go well with your juicy and aromatic poached chicken.
Serving the Oven Poached Chicken Breast With Creamy Lemon Herb Sauce
Here the juicy chicken breast is served with some chopped parsley sprinkled on top and the lemon herb sauce on the side. Serve with a slice of lemon for some an additional citrus kick. You can also use this oven poached chicken technique in different dishes, such as cubing the chicken for chicken salad like this one or in this asian chicken cabbage wrap.
Oven Poached Chicken Breast with Creamy Lemon Herb Sauce
Oven Poached Chicken
- 2 each chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 each lemons, juice and the peel Use a vegetable peeler to peel lemon, but peel very lightly. Try to only get the yellow lemon zest (outer portion) and not the white pith underneath (which is bitter). Reserve the juice for the sauce.
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped and stems cut in half Reserve a quarter cup of chopped parsley for sauce and save some to garnish the chicken when serving.
- 4 each spring onion, chopped into ~1 inch pieces
- 1 each carrot, peeled and sliced
- 0.5 tsp salt
Creamy Lemon Herb Sauce
- 0.5 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Add ginger, garlic, parsley stems, spring onion, lemon peel, and carrot to baking dish. Add about 1 inch of water. Season chicken breasts with salt (about 0.25 tsp salt per breast) and put into baking dish. Cover and put in oven for about 30 minutes. Cook until chicken reaches about 160 deg. F at the thickest part using a thermometer. Let the chicken rest in the baking dish for at least ten minutes after coming out of the oven. The internal temperature of the chicken will continue to rise to at least 165 deg F.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the lemon herb sauce. Mix the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and a quarter cup of chopped parsley. Season with salt to taste.
- After chicken has rested for at least ten minutes, serve immediately with creamy lemon herb sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a slice of lemon for a fresh citrus kick.