This baked zucchini parmigiana is cheesy tomato goodness that is low carb and easy to make. Using zucchini as the base of the dish is a fresh healthy spin on the classic parmigiana.
Baked Zucchini Parmigiana
Baked zucchini parmigiana is a healthy twist on the classic parmigiana dish. The classic parmigiana involves layers of tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and cheese (typically mozzarella and parmigiano). Typically, you will see eggplant parmigiana or chicken parmigiana, or maybe even shrimp parmigiana. The main ingredient, whether it be eggplant or chicken, is baked with the tomatoes and cheese. Zucchini parm is much less common but is still a delicious recipe as shown here.
Making Zucchini Parmesan
Making zucchini parmesan requires only a handful of ingredients: zucchini, tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, and olive oil. First, prepare the zucchini by cutting off the ends. Then cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the central seeded area of the zucchini halves to form zucchini ‘canoes’. Discard the seeded flesh from the center; this flesh has a high water concentration and will result in zucchini parm with an off texture and less flavor.
Lightly coat zucchini ‘canoes’ with salt and olive oil. Bake in a 450 deg. oven for about 10-15 minutes, until zucchini is just cooked through. Remove from oven and spoon tomato or marinara sauce onto the zucchini (marinara sauce recipe here). Coat with parmesan and mozzarella cheese. The zucchini parmesan is finished when the cheese is melted and browned a bit.
Serving Zucchini Parmigiana
Serve the zucchini parmigiana immediately with extra marinara sauce and parmesan cheese. Garnish zucchini parm with fresh basil. Serve as a vegetable side dish or main course.
Baked Zucchini Parmigiana
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise with the center scooped out with a spoon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cup marinara sauce recipe link above
- 2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan, grated
- salt to taste
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 deg. F. To prepare zucchini, trim off the ends and then cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the center of each zucchini half. Season the zucchini lightly with salt and olive oil.
- Place seasoned zucchini on oven safe tray. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until zucchini is just cooked through. Remove from oven.
- Scoop marinara sauce onto zucchini halves, reserving some sauce for serving. Sprinkle parmesan cheese onto the zucchini, reserving some for serving. Top the zucchini with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese has melted and browned lightly. Remove from oven. Serve immediately. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and extra marinara sauce. Garnish with fresh basil.