Cabbage Veggie Fritters
I’m pretty excited about these cabbage fritters because I haven’t really explored fritters too much in the past. I had a head of cabbage laying around and was thinking how I could prepare it, and thought – let’s try a fritter! And I’ve gotta say, I’m pretty happy with the outcome. It’s an interesting transformation of a very humble vegetable (the cabbage) into something golden brown and delicious. I’m all about lifting up the lowly vegetables and ingredients.
Plus, making fritters opens up the whole fritter-verse of possibilities of vegetable fritters, meat fritters, meat and veggie combo fritters, . . . and so on and so forth. I’ve already made fritters a few more times. It’s a great way to use up ingredients in the fridge that may have been left over from previous recipes (that’s what led me to this recipe). So good, especially when served with a nice condiment…
Honey Greek Yogurt
This honey greek yogurt sauce takes these cabbage and carrot fritters to another sweet level. The sweetness of the honey goes well with the cabbage and the tangy green diced apple. The honey yogurt sauce couldn’t be easier to make: mix together greek yogurt and honey, and that’s it! The texture of the honey yogurt is a little stiff and it’s shiny and tasty. Goes perfectly with the acidity of the diced apple.
Ingredients for Veggie Fritters
The ingredients for the veggie cabbage fritters are simple. You’ll need to cut the cabbage and green onions thinly and shred the carrots. It helps to squeeze the sliced cabbage in your hand in order to loosen up the pieces and make them more pliable (this way they’ll go with the flow when integrated into the fritter). First whisk together the ingredients for the batter and then incorporate the veggies.
Making the Cabbage Fritters
Drop large spoonfuls of your cabbage fritter batter into the hot vegetable oil. These spoonfuls will become your veggie fritters. Leave some space between them so that you can easily flip later on. Flip when golden brown on the bottom. The cabbage carrot fritters are finished when the other side is golden brown.
Serve them immediately with the honey greek yogurt condiment and sprinkle the diced apple on top.
Cabbage Fritters With Honey Greek Yogurt and Diced Apple
- Frying Pan
- 1 lb cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 each carrots, peeled and shredded on a grater
- 0.5 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced to a paste
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1.5 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 5 each eggs
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 0.5 tsp ground fennel seed optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
Honey Greek Yogurt and Apple
- 2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 0.25 cup honey
- 1 each Granny Smith apple, diced into 0.25 inch cubes
- Whisk together all batter ingredients. Fold in the fritter veggies. Mix well.
- Heat up vegetable oil in frying pan. Drop large dollops of veggie fritter batter into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove and place on paper towels or a wire rack to cool.
- Mix together Greek yogurt and honey. Serve fritters with a spoonful of honey yogurt and garnish with cubed green apple.
Other Veggie Fritter Recipes