Italian Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce
There are many ways to use and prepare eggs in the kitchen, and baked eggs are a great one that is underutilized. These Italian baked eggs in tomato sauce are a personal favorite. They’re great for an easy, delicious, low-carb meal. Baking eggs in the tomato sauce prevents them from drying out easily, and the egg whites take on a soft texture when cooked in the tomato sauce that can be almost cheese like. Topping the eggs with mozzarella cheese at the end takes it to another level.
Baking the Eggs in a Hearty Marinara Sauce
The eggs are baked in a hearty marinara sauce using this simple recipe. This is a great example where a chunky marinara sauce is preferable to a smooth or blended tomato sauce. The chunks of tomato add nice texture and give nice bursts of tomato flavor. In addition, a chunky marinara sauce makes the dish easier to eat. You can get a nice spoonful of chunky tomato, eggs, and cheese without dealing with a runny sauce.
Preparing Eggs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Preparing eggs baked in tomato sauce is super simple once you already have the tomato sauce. It is best if the hearty marinara sauce is at room temperature or warmer. You can accomplish this by leaving the sauce out at room temperature for awhile, or heating it up on the stove or microwave. If the sauce is cold, it will take longer to bake in the oven, as you will have to wait for the oven to warm up the sauce.
Put the hearty marinara sauce in a baking dish so there is about a half inch covering the bottom. Using the back of a spoon, make two round impressions in the sauce spaced about two inches apart. These round indentations will provide a home for the eggs to sit. Crack an egg into each indentation and put into the oven for about 15 – 25 minutes. The eggs are done when the egg whites are cooked through. About 5 minutes before the eggs are cooked, sprinkle the eggs with mozzarella cheese and put back in oven.
To finish, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Italian Baked Eggs In Tomato Sauce with Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 each eggs
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce (see recipe) https://theflavordance.com/recipes/hearty-marinara-sauce/
- 0.25 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Ideally, the marinara sauce should be room temperature or hotter. If the marinara sauce is cold, the eggs will take longer to cook in oven. Put marinara in a small baking dish so that bottom is covered by at least 0.5 inch. Make two small round impressions in the sauce with the back of a spoon. Crack one egg in each impression.
- Bake until egg whites are cooked through (about 20 minutes). Sprinkle mozzarella on eggs about five minutes before eggs are finished cooking. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.